Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Measuring noise along a signal path

Tobiah wrote:

I ordered a Jethead

** Its called a " Fethead " - dickhead.

Phantom to see whether it would improve
the S/N used with my NT1-A's, and an M-Audio Fast Track
Ultra audio interface.

** I can safely predict it won't.

I also have a 'dummy mic' as we
recently discussed, using the 150 Ohm resister soldered into
a male XLR connecter trick.

Given the dummy mic, the microphones, the interface, and
the Jethead

** Fethead.

which will arrive on Wednesday, how would you
go about deciding whether the Jethead is going to be able
to deliver clean enough gain that it surpasses and improves
my existing preamps. I know I could just listen, but it's
tough to pick out the noise in my residential bedroom from
machine noise.

** Machine noise ??

What have you got in there, a factory.

How would we do this in science class?

** Makers (like Rode) tests the background noise of condenser mics by either placing them in a vacuum OR in a silent chamber.

FYI a silent chamber is a thick walled, cast iron sphere with airtight door and XLR connectors fitted.

Also, I was thinking of putting the Jethead

** Fethead.

between the mic
and cable, to avoid amplifying any noise the cable picked up
in between (yeah, balanced connection, but still).

Thanks,

Tobiah

** Go away.

..... Phil