Mike Rivers

Default Mackie SDR 24/96 - Hard Drive upgrade?

In article "Oily" writes:

Just what I needed to hear, as I was told (by the shop) that Mackie have
stopped selling empty drive caddies.

They never really did sell them. It was in the original plan, and
there was a stock number and a dealer price for the empty carrier in
black with the cool box, but then they decided that too many people
would screw themselves by buying drives that didn't work well and
didn't want the word to get around that "The HDR (that was the
original, and remaining model in the line) only works with Mackie
drives." Much to the disappointment (and vocal outrage) of HDR
customers, the empty carrier was dropped from the line. Mackie said
you could buy one M-90 (drive in a carrier) and then put your own
drives in it, which was kind of a cop-out, but it didn't take people
very long to find the retail version of the RH-50 or RH-40 carrier.

The first year or so, some drives were iffy but people who didn't
want to pay $300 for a 20 GB Mackie branded drive dealt with it.
Nowadays just about any drive you get will work in an HDR - and then
drives 30 GB and smaller virtually disappeared from the retail market.
The stock HDR won't recognize a smaller drive at the BIOS level. They
just came up with a BIOS update this past summer that lets it
recognize drives up to 120 GB. That should hold us HDR owners for
another year or so.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )