Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Default HD RADIO is no worse than DAB or DRM radio

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:59:17 GMT, "Earl Kiosterud"
wrote:

Was AM radio ever allowed audio to 15 KHz? I read many years ago that it was, perhaps
before the NRSC recommendation was adopted by the FCC. I presumed that the stations either
were allowed to overlap 5 KHz (doubtful), or that stations in a given area were separated by
at least 30 KHz.
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Years ago, here in London an interesting thing happened. Audio was fed
to our big AM transmitter by landline, which had a hopeless frequency
response, losing a great deal of HF. This was equalised in the channel
filter for the transmitter, resulting in flat AM out to about 5kHz.

Anyway, at some point the land line was replaced with a much better
one, but nobody thought to tweak the channel filter to suit the new
frequency response, resulting in audio which was flattish out to at
least 12 if not 15kHz. we had really good quality AM for quite a
while.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com