Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches Iain Churches is offline

Default Best Way to Attenuate

"west" wrote in message news:R21di.221$%t6.66@trnddc02...

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
news

Normally, if I had a single signal source, say a CD player
I would forget about the preamp altogether, and have a stepped
attenuator (100k) on the grid of the first stage of the preamp and
built in to the same chassis (leads as short as possible) I did
this on my 25W amp.

Iain, do you mean on the first stage of your amp?

Yes. On the grid of the first stage in the power amplifier. The
wiring is about 12cms:-)

I used a 100k DACT stepped attenuator, one for each channel.
People have told me that these tend to get noisy after a couple of
years. But Sander, I think it was, recommended the use of a
470k grid resistor in addition. This seems to work well.

Regards to all
Iain