Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sunflowermanuk Sunflowermanuk is offline

Default Attenuate or run hot mic directly into A/D convertor?

As long as the preamp isn't clipping, you might want to use it to get
whatever sound it imparts to the mic (putting a pad between the mic and
the preamp will change the loading of the preamp on the mic, which may
change the sound), and put the attenuator between the preamp output and
A/D converter input.

I considered that putting a pad after the mic pre - would these little
mic attenuators also work in that conif (on line-level signals)? If so
I guess I could make some custom leads up and run them off the
patchbay.

FWIW I'm using an RME ADI8-Pro (into a Digi ADAT Bridge/Mix system).
It has switchable +4/-10/low gain inputs, but even on the latter it's
still too hot..

Thanks guys, invaluable stuff. Jon