Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Limited Bandwidth

"Ian Iveson" wrote in
message k
Eeyore wrote:

I haven't suggested that West uses a 10k pot. The
cathode follower
would prefer the 100k.

On the basis of what principle do you say that ?

It's a 12AX7. Look up the curves and draw yourself a
10k loadline.

What good would that be for a cathode follower ?

The characteristic curves don't care about circumstance.

You would have to make a guess at West's operating point,
since he appears to be keeping it a secret.

You might consider, having drawn your line, whether a
12AX7 is appropriate for driving a long cable in any case.

My opinion is that a CF is a clumsy instrument, and the
more the gain, and the less the current, the clumsier it
becomes.

When does a CF have any gain at all?

A CF built on a 12AX7 is a bit of a straw man. Why use a hi-mu triode for a
stage that *always* has less than unity gain?

Looking at good quality circuits of sucessful commercial designs, a 12AU7
seems to be more to the point.