Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

Default Limited Bandwidth

"Eeyore" wrote in message

west wrote:

I built a typical phono amp with 3 12AX7s, the last tube a cathode

follower
(low impedance). It has plenty of gain (70db) and can easily drive any

amp
directly. I like using a 100k step resistor volume control instead of a

line
amp.
My problem is that when I use any of my tube amps, the sound has limited
bandwidth. A SS amp does not exhibit this problem, if fact the SS sound

is
rather impressive to me (for silicone).
With my limited know-how, I'm swagging that an impedance mismatch is the
culprit.
If my contention is correct, is there a simple cure besides using a line
amp? Perhaps some kind of buffer is called for. All comments welcomed

and
thank you.

You're using a 100k 'pot' effectively to drive a cable.. With as little as

1 nF
of cable capacitance that forms a low pass filter at 6kHz !

The transistor amps will have a lower input impedance that loads this

which will
push the turnover frequency out of the audible area (just).

You should never drive a cable from a pot or attenuator of high value.

Try using a 10k stepped attenuator instead. The whole point of cathode

followers
is to drive lower impedances.

Graham

Your answer is what I suspected but not having much experience, I asked this
NG. I was looking for a Tube Basic 101 generic answer that I did not find in
my reference books. I don't understand where Patrick is coming from. I have
never asked for specific help. That's the most enjoyable aspect of this
hobby (for me), is rolling your own, having some problem, and ultimately
solving it. Thanks again Graham.

west