Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

Default Limited Bandwidth

"west" said:

I built a typical phono amp with 3 12AX7s, the last tube a cathode follower
(low impedance). It has plenty of gain (70db) and can easily drive any amp
directly. I like using a 100k step resistor volume control instead of a line
amp.
My problem is that when I use any of my tube amps, the sound has limited
bandwidth. A SS amp does not exhibit this problem, if fact the SS sound is
rather impressive to me (for silicone).
With my limited know-how, I'm swagging that an impedance mismatch is the
culprit.
If my contention is correct, is there a simple cure besides using a line
amp? Perhaps some kind of buffer is called for. All comments welcomed and
thank you.

You already have a buffer in the form of the 12AX7 cathode follower.
Just put the pot in front of it, with a switch for phono/CD if you
like.
No need for another amplifying element in the chain, less is more.

Better yet, get a 6SN7 for that CF function and power the heater
separately, with DC offset to about cathode level.

--

- Maggies are an addiction for life. -