Steven Sullivan wrote:
wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
It's very simple: people's experience of music is a combined result of
the sound, and how one responds to the sound (call it the "subtle
internal dance"). If either one changes, then the experience changes. I
find that the internal response to the sound is something that can be
modelled and understood, and explains a great many experiences, as well
as casts light on the shortcomings of the common blind test.

Such experience does not necessarily reflect any *real difference* in the
sound or the sound-producing device -- so why talk like it does?

I've developed my model from experiences in which there are obvious
differences in the sound-- such as listening to a live performance, and
then listening to a recording of it.

But those two sounds are quite easily demonstrated to be different
by independent, objective means. You cannot conclude from *that* that all
*perceived* differences are likely to be real.

That's not what I conclude.

My working hypothesis consists of these assertions:

(1) that the experience of music depends on time-diffuse properties

(2) that the experience of music depends on what one is paying
attention to

(3) that the experience of music is a function of both the sound and
the
internal response (the "subtle internal dance" to give one
example)

(4) that subtle qualities of music cannot be conceptualized and the
perception
of them depends on context

(5) that certain factors affect how one constructs one's response to
the
sound (such as the number of times one has listened to the same
piece,
and other aspects of context)

No comparisons between different sounds are required to observe these
things. They don't depend on perceiving that cables are different, or
cd players are different.

Mike