Mark DeBellis

The distinction I make is not between
listening blind and listening sighted, but between all of the
following:

- listening to determine what you think of something A (could, and
should,
be done without knowing the identity of A)

- listening to compare A and B

- listening to categorize X and either A or B

I happen to think that these are different ways of using one's
attention, and that in particular "listening to categorize" changes
perception. If I am to be convinced of the relevance of blind tests, I
would like to see a large number of tests that controlled for these
variations in the use of the attention.

Michael's question seems to me to be very much to the point, but no one
as far as I can see has answered it. So long as one thinks that *all*
questions about perception are directly translatable into questions
about comparison or discrimination (or categorization), one is apt to
miss his point entirely.

Mark