Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Radio processing

Tatonik wrote:
Yesterday flooding in the Chicago area knocked out power to the Willis
Tower (née Sears Tower) atop which the broadcast antenna for WFMT 98.7
FM sits, a station I have been in the habit of listening to. There was
static the whole day. This morning it was back on the air with the help
of WBEZ, broadcasting from the top of the John Hancock building. The
only difference is that now WFMT sounds nasty and tizzy, almost like
it's clipping. I assume everything is being run through WBEZ's
processing chain.

My first guess is that they are getting the audio over to the other site
through some lossy-compressed mechanism. If they have internet codecs
used for live remotes, that would be the first way I'd do it. Nobody has
isdn lines around anymore.

The processing chain is the least of your worries.

What kinds of things are some of these stations likely doing to the
audio and why?

They could tell you but they'd have to kill you.