Adrian Tuddenham

Mike Rivers wrote:

Sune T. B. Nielsen wrote:

How do you decide what is good og bad media?
(Before buying and trying them of course)

That's how. But if your time is worth anything, you'll start with a
known manufacturer and they'll probably work fine. I use Taiyo Yuden
silver blanks and have never had a failure. They're about $35/hundred
on a spindle. I don't think that's too much to pay for not having to
worry about reliability.

If your volume is in hundreds a week and you insist on keeping your
prices low, you might want to look further to save a few bucks on a
lot. For the rest of us, an extra dime a disk doesn't matter.

I've found that blanks with a faint greeny-blue dye seem to give less
trouble on audio players than plain silver ones. You can actually see
the recorded track area by looking at it under a good light.

The darker 'azo' dyes give the player a much stronger signal still -
but they deteriorate rapidly in strong light.

If you have the electronics knowledge, hook an oscilloscope up to the
detector electronics of a CD player and have a look at the signal as it
comes off the laser head. The variations in amplitude between makes of
disc are quite surprising and all sorts of blemishes show up clearly.

The best blanks I have found so far in the UK are made by HHB.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk