Nousaine

Default small room and bass.

(Buster Mudd) wrote:

(Nousaine) wrote in message

This is all easily equalizable with even a 1/3 octave equalizer. A single

cut
at 50 or 62 Hz will most likely cure things.

...at some position in the room, sure. But 8" to the left, that single
cut @ 50 or 62Hz will have so dramatically skewed the low frequency
response it'll make your head swim when you lean over to pick up your
beer.

You can never completely address temporal artifacts with frequency
adjustments. Peaks & nulls in the low frequency response of small
rooms are due to standing waves & acoustic interference...these are a
direct result of the physical dimensions of your room. Changing the
frequency response of the material you playback into that room does
not change the physical dimensions of the room; there will still be
standing waves at certain frequencies, there will still be peaks &
nulls in the room's response, & you will have simply sacrificed some
valuable amplifier headroom by trying to smooth out those anomalies
with an equalizer. You will also have sacrificed some valuable cash by
buying that equalizer in the first place.

Better to spend that cash on acoustic treatment to smooth out
interference & lessen the effects of room modes. A modest investment
in broadband absorbers & bass traps will do more to flatten the room
response of any playback equipment than even the most expensive
equalizer.

It's remarkable that when you get a problem (too much energy in a given
frequency band) that is treatable with a widely available inexpensive device
the old audiophile 'fear of EQ' strikes.

In an 11 X 11 X 8 room there will be too much energy at 50-70 Hz in any of the
better listening/woofer positions (there just aren't that many in a room this
size) because the modal peaks stack up there. I know this because I've response
mapped low frequency performance in 2 of these spaces. It's a job, perhaps one
of a few, perfectly suited for a 1/3 octave EQ.

OTOH I've never seen a case where bass traps have effectively been used to
address such a problem in a room this size. And I don't see that a broadband
absorber would address this problem in any way.

But overall I'd say that the original posters worry that he wouldn't get enough
bass in a small space should certainly have been ameliorated by now.