Fletch

anthony.gosnell wrote:
I own and run a small independant recording studio. I have a lot of my time
wasted by people making appointments to see me and then asking "Can't you
record me and then I'll pay you when I've sold all my copies?". Very often
these are people who have not even recorded a demo and do not know how to
play a musical instrument. They often will show me the lyrics to their
"hits".

I am looking for articles and magazines which I can leave in the waiting
room which deal with how to develop a music career and other important
skills muscians should have. Maybe even some inexpensive books which I
could sell.

At the moment I just have some Guitar, Keyboard etc. magazines. (These do
have one or two good articles but are mostly advertizing for stuff which
these kids cant afford.)

Anthony Gosnell

Some studios will agree to taking points on a release in lieu of up front payment for studio time.
However, it sounds like your situation is a bit different, having people come in and want to talk
about how great they are... if they just get the "juice" from someone else.

Perhaps you could screen people over the phone to find their intentions. Perhaps questions along the
lines of:

"What are you looking to accomplish?"
"Do you have your songs finished and charted?"
"Will you need musicians for your session?"

And so on.

Also, perhaps it would be good that, during this conversation on the phone, you let them know your
studio does not do work on "spec" or take points on future potential sales in lieu of payment for
studio time. It may save you the grief and wasted time they consume coming into the studio to say
these things.

--fletch