Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Recording with Measurement Mics

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 10:53:28 -0700, Tobiah wrote:

On 07/26/2018 09:11 AM, James Price wrote:
If the goal of a live recording is to record the instruments as
faithfully as possible to the source audio, wouldn't a measurement
mic with a flat response be preferred over a mic with a response
that's not flat?

For example, if I wanted to record a guitar playing through a 1x12
cab at a reasonable volume, wouldn't a flat response mic be preferred
if the goal were to record the sound coming out of the cab as
accurately as possible?

I posted a similar question some time ago, and one person brought
up the idea that low self noise may not be a primary objective when
designing a measurement mic. That's important to me because I
often record quieter sounds.

There is a conflict which needs a compromise. The ideal measurement
mic has zero size, but that means infinite noise. So you need to make
a decision where to reach a desirable compromise between accuracy and
noise. B&K have their decision, Behringer have another. Depending on
what you want to measure, there will be an optimum mic.