Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matt Faunce Matt Faunce is offline

Default Recording with Measurement Mics

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/27/2018 5:46 PM, James Price wrote:
Check out this video of an experiment by Ethan Winer:
https://youtu.be/lpTTDe0Aho0

I originally watched this many months ago and had forgotten about it.
It's nice to view it again within the context of this thread.

I listened to the video and even with my computer speakers (Radio Shack
Minimus 7s) I heard significant differences between the mic and speaker
playback on every source except maybe for a shaker. I think that nearly
all of the measurement mic recordings could be acceptable, but that
wasn't really the point of the video - at least I didn't think so.

The point was to show how close the playback of close-miked recording comes
to a live performance. Based on what you guys said earlier in this thread,
I think Ethan's experiment would have to be done a large number of times,
say 100 times, each time with a slightly different close-mic-placement.
Then an informed assessment would be the one that takes into consideration
(1) the average difference (of live vs. memorex) of those hundred
experiments and (2) the distribution of the differences.

I have no doubt that you experienced recording engineers have a pretty good
idea of where that average would be and what the distribution would look
like, but we lay folks are in the dark. But hey, Ethan's one-off experiment
gets us lay folks in the park; the problem is we still have no idea how big
the park is or how close to the center we are.

--
Matt