Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matt Faunce Matt Faunce is offline

Default Recording with Measurement Mics

James Price wrote:
On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 9:19:19 AM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/27/2018 9:43 AM, James Price wrote:
You're right, of course. My original question pertained to listening to the
recording in the same room that it was recorded in, though.

Then why listen to the recording? Why not just listen to the guitar
player?

One of the things that recording engineers do when recording electric
guitars is to record a split of the signal direct from the pickup on its
own track. That track can then be used as is for one kind of sound,
processed by an "amplifier simulator" for another kind of sound, or fed
to a real amplifier in a room - the same one where the original
recording was made or a bathroom or a stairwell or the Taj Mahal - with
mics placed to get the sound the engineer wants to hear.

I don't know if you were asking a practical question (if so, what were
you really hoping to accomplish?) or if this was a hypothetical question.

It was completely hypothetical and solely out of curiosity.

Check out this video of an experiment by Ethan Winer:
https://youtu.be/lpTTDe0Aho0

--
Matt