Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] BillyGoat@The.Farm is offline

Default The end of R.A.H-E

On 10 Feb 2017 22:39:04 GMT, RAHE Moderator
wrote:

Today is February 10, 2017. There have been no posts in the
rec.audio.high-end newsgroup since December 2016.

We have a few options, and I will lay them out.

1. Close the newsgroup.

This is effectively what has happened anyway. If selected, I will
send a notice to various people r.a.h-e is now dead, and some
servers will stop carrying it. Others won't. Without a live moderator,
no more messages will ever appear.

2. Open the newsgroup.

In this proposal, rec.audio.high-end becomes unmoderated. Anyone
can post at any time on any subject. Spammers will likely run rampant,
and frequent flamewars between people who believe that they can hear
differences between certain things and people who believe that nobody
can hear those differences will dominate the non-spam content. (That's
just my opinion.)

3. Self-moderate the newsgroup.

There's a secret method to getting posts approved on rec.audio.high-end.
If you do it without authorization, people will consider your actions
despicable. In this proposal, I will grant that authorization to everyone.
Spammers will be unlikely to use it, but people who don't remember how to
do it will have their messages disappear without a trace. Moderation
effectively ends.

4. Find a new moderator.

Self-explanatory, I think.

Please let me know what you all think. Suggestions, comments, theorizing,
whatever: This thread is open to everyone, and is constrained to the
topic of "the fate of rec.audio.high-end", rather than the general
purpose of the newsgroup. The thread will close April 1, 2017, unless
there is an active discussion going on.

-dsr-

#2 Open it up, I do not see any reason to just turn it off. If it
gets way to much spam people will self regulate themselves and
unsubscribe. I myself have been viewing since the early 90's but
almost never posted because I never want my e-mail exposed.