Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Aratzio

Default I Want Control! Complete and Total Control!

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:35:13 -0500, mimus
transparently proposed:

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:09:06 +0000 (UTC), Steven Sullivan wrote:

In rec.audio.opinion mimus wrote:

I want a double- drawer- or- better *programmable* CD player, goddamit.

One which allows you to punch in, say, (some equivalent of) "-N" to mean
"play all tracks up to track N", and "N+" "play all tracks from N on", and
"M-N" "play tracks M to N", all in programming sequences like "-J M-N P-Q
S+" (across different disks as well, of course).

(And I don't even have the spirit to put individual track level and--
ooh-ooh-- track crossfade control on my wish list.)

You want to be streaming your music from a computer, then.
Your needs are easily met, using something like foobar2000
to play lossless files.

I take it you mean a system dedicated to being a player?

I wasn't even thinking about that route, but it's definitely an interesting
if (to me) bizarre thought; I would've thought that CD players would by
their very systemic dedication to their task would provide superior
fundamental performance.

OTOH, computers are computers, eh?

(I think Aratzio's trying to lead me down the same path.)

Yup.
BUT the caveat is that to actually achieve the *same* quality as the
original you have to use a lossless format. WAV is a 1:1 of the CDDA
track which is about 10M of storage per minute of music (IIRC). So you
need LOTS of storage even if you use a compressed lossless format like
FLAC or APE (40-60% compression).

However if you have either tin ears, hearing loss, old age or crappy
speakers the MP3, OGG and apple lossy formats will work just fine and
are usually about 1-2M per minute of music.

50 minutes music in WAV is ~500Mb of storage
50 minutes music in MP3 is 50-100Mb of storage.

So the trade off for your convenience is storage size vs audio
quality.

And the player.
And the network.
And the time spent ripping each and everyone of those CDs and making
sure there are no errors and finding one and going back ripping the CD
again only to find there is a scratch and you have to go buy another
POS CD and then you find out it really was not a scratch but a cat
hair, a ****ing cat hair, how in the hell did that ****ing cat hair
get on my CD, was the cat playing my cds while I was out, I will wring
the scrawny *******s neck if he even thinks about touching my cds
again I hate it when my cat plays my cds I have told him and told hims
*don't touch the cds* but does he listen no he just sits there licking
his paw acting like he doesn't care and then waiting until i leave to
play my cds I am going to put in a web cam just so I can make sure the
******* never touches my cds again.

--

AHM ****** Stomping Award - 2005

Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - May, 2005
Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - Jan, 2006

Hammer of Thor - July, 2005

David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus) on 10-22-2005
"But it is not isolated AUK has a massive impact the rest of usenet."

Please ask your admin to be adding alt.aratzio to your news server
alt.aratzio Usenet asshole Aratzio