Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jason[_14_] Jason[_14_] is offline

Default So-called high rez audio downloads debunked - again!

On 20 Mar 2012 23:12:55 GMT "Audio Empire"
wrote in article

OK, that makes a lot more sense. Bet it was a Dynaco Stereo 120, or perhaps a
Stereo 80. Both were early SS designs and both were extremely fragile. Dynaco
had to hand select the output transistors for V sub CE (IIRC). If you
replaced blown ones with off-the-shelf 2N3055s, instead of ordering
replacements directly from Dyna, more likely than not, they would blow
instantly when the power was re-applied. Later in the Stereo 120's life, they
changed to a different output transistor and different complementary drivers
and then they didn't self-destruct so often.

I still have a ST120 that I built in the early 70's. I turn it on every
year or so in an attempt to save the electrolytic caps. It still works
just fine though it hasn't been my primary amp for decades. I've used it
for sound reinforcement for years at our village's Halloween haunted
house, where it's called upon to run nearly flat-out for hours on end
into parallel'd (nominally) 8-ohm speakers...sometimes 3 in parallel!