Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default So-called high rez audio downloads debunked - again!

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 02:43:41 -0700, Scott wrote
(in article ):

On Mar 15, 6:31=A0am, Andrew Haley
wrote:
Scott wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:58?pm, Audio Empire wrote:

Ideally, an amplifier is defined as "a straight wire with gain".

I disagree with this ideal. This is an attempt to *define taste.*
Taste is personal. Ideals are personal. So you can't make this claim.

There's nothing personal about this, it's the definition of what an
ideal amplifier is. =A0The high-end industry may well understand
something different, but that's their fault, not anyone else's. =A0The
high-end industry abuses all manner of well-understood terms.

The idea of an ideal amplifier is well-understood as a term of art:
it's something you would be likely to learn in EE 101. =A0See here for a
definition:http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Eng...ses/En123/Lec=

tures/A...

If you instead want to talk about "my ideal amplifier" as something
different, fine. =A0But Mr. Empire is correct.

If you don't understand the basic fact that ideals are inherently
personal then there is nothing more to talk about. Your ideal
amplifier is one that does not audibly alter the input other than to
increase the amplitude. My ideal amplifer is the one that nets the
most life like and pleasing result in my system with a wide variety of
source material. Those are both *personal* ideals. There are some who
share your ideals there are some who share mine. There are others with
their own ideals that are completely different than either of us. But
they are all personal ideals based on preferences and taste and goals.
Amplifiers that add euphonic colorations are amplifiers. They are
marketed as such and used as such. That's becasue they are amplifiers.
You can't wish them out of existance by trying to alter the defenition
of an amplifier.

I agree, but in the OP, I wasn't describing some boutique amplifier designed
to purposely color the sound. I was describing the TECHNICALLY IDEAL
amplifier from an engineering standpoint. No one is attacking you for
preferring an amplifier that is purposely "euphonically" colored. If that's
your taste, have at at!