Posted to rec.audio.pro
gregz gregz is offline

Default Replacement speaker for Fender Rumble 350 Bass Combo amp??

Paul wrote:
On 3/28/2014 10:51 PM, gregz wrote:
Paul wrote:
Unfortunately, Fender has either made a design flaw in this
amp, or they got a bad batch of cheap 8 Ohm speakers. This
is obvious because a Google search shows many people have
blown the speakers on these units. The particular unit
I am repairing is only 3 months old, from date of purchase, and
both speakers were blown during a gig.

The spec sheet for the Rumble 350 is 370 Watts into 4 Ohms (8 ohms
parallel).

From what I researched, these Eminence speakers should do the
trick:

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_B102.pdf

I was not able to find a 10" speaker higher than a 200Watt rating.

About $80 a pop on Ebay.

If someone knows of a cheaper, but equally good speaker, please let me
know, but I really would like these replacements to LAST.

I'm not going to argue the equipments potential, but the first thing I
always think of is downgrading potential for failure. I would stick the
drivers in Series. Try to blow that out. Sure, it will not play as loud,
probably 6 DB drop. Each driver will only see 1/4 the power, roughly.

Greg

Or how about two 4 Ohms speakers in series, for a 3 dB drop, or
1/2 the power?

I found a pair of 10", 4 Ohm, 125 Watt RMS speakers on Ebay for about $75 for the pair.

I was thinking that too. The efficiency spec will also also play into
formula.
Sometimes the lower ohm driver will have more electrical damping. Hopefully
the box tuning will not change too much, if it's ported. It's possible to
play with porting
To minimize driver excursion.

Greg