Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default Replacement speaker for Fender Rumble 350 Bass Combo amp??

On 3/28/2014 7:19 AM, Paul wrote:
On 3/28/2014 5:11 AM, Neil Gould wrote:
Paul wrote:

[...]
From what I researched, these Eminence speakers should do the
trick:

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_B102.pdf

I was not able to find a 10" speaker higher than a 200Watt rating.

About $80 a pop on Ebay.

If someone knows of a cheaper, but equally good speaker, please let me
know, but I really would like these replacements to LAST.

If this is not your personal amp I'd be very hesitant to replace the
speakers with anything other than the originals because the choice of
that
amp may have been based on its sound and responsiveness. I'd be quite
upset
if some repair shop returned an amp to me that sounded or behaved
differently than what I bought! ;-)

Well, get this. It should still be under factory warranty, and I
told the owner he should talk to Fender and get it fixed for nearly
free. But he made a few good points about his previous experiences
with warranty repairs:

1) He would have to pay for shipping and handling at least.
2) The companies usually take a LONG time to repair the unit.
3) They would probably put in the same ****ty speakers that came
with the original design, and the they would probably blow
out just as quickly.

This last point is the reason the owner is willing to try
different speakers. Most people have been happy with Eminence,
from what I have read. I'll bet if anything, the tone will
improve, and it should certainly last longer than 3 months!
[...]

My point is that "music creation" is less about technical aspects such
as the power handling capability of a speaker than the musician's
*feeling* about the amp's sound and responsiveness.

You've verified the important part -- the owner is willing to try
different speakers. If he doesn't like the result, you won't be to
blame. ;-)
--
best regards,

Neil