Posted to rec.audio.tech
James Lehman James Lehman is offline

Default Speaker Break In

wrote in message
ups.com...

James Lehman wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

James Lehman wrote:
I live in Northeast Ohio. We have weather here; air conditioning,

heating.
Room temperature is hardly anything constant.

Actually, the term "room temperature" IS fairly constant. It's
not the temperature at any given moment of any given room,
as you seem to infer in earlier posts, but refers to a de facto
standard. A google search of "room temperature" does NOT,
as implied, bringh forth hugely varying results, e.g.:

"Room temperature, in common usage, is taken to be
roughly 20-25 degrees Celsius (68-77 degrees
Fahrenheit, 528-532 Rankine, or 293-295 kelvin)."

"nominal room temperature is 72 degrees Fahrenheit,
22 degrees Celsius)"

And there are many, many more references that suggest the
same. One sees reference to "room temperature super-
conductors" and th like, and they all refer to the general range
of about 21C or 70F, with a small variance thereabouts.

More accurate would be to use what's refered to a "STP,"
or Standard Temperature and Pressure, which is defined
as 20 celsius and 1 standard atmosphere.

But, to those experts in the field of loudspeaker and
acoustics and those familiar with the concepts all
understand the term "room temperature" to mean
20-22 C. I have never once heard an argument among
practitioners about one person's concept or room
temperature vs another's.

Well that's just dandy for all of us in this group who
listen to test tones in a climate controlled anechoic
chamber. I personally listen to music in my
basement. And my speakers are near an external wall.

Hmm, I know of no one who, according to you, "listens
to test tones in a climate controlled anechoic chamber."
Perhaps you do and that's who you should address
your comments to.

As to myself, I listen to my system in a climate controlled
room. That room has a thermostat in it, and otherwise,
I can maintain the temperature to within about 2C of the
set temperature. Perhaps you have heard of such devices?

The point I am trying to make is this... Sure, you can
make your test situation as perfect as possible. And
then there is the real, everyday use of the speaker
system.

In that real world, which is apprently different than the one
you inhabit, people easily control their environment to
within quite reasonable limits.

But, beyond that, your comments and inferences about
there being no accepted value for room temperature is
simply at odds with a rather large body of data.

Does anyone else see what a boob this guy is?

James. )