Billy Shears wrote:
I think this was the metho used by Bob carver in his Stereophile
challenge where he claimed he could make his amplifier sound just
like a much more expensie tube amp.

Which he did, judging by Stereophile's golden ears of the time,
IIRC.

Yes, in 1985, but only using the Carver to drive the midrange and
treble drivers of an Infinity panel speaker. Later tests in 1987
showed that the Carver could be distinguished from the tube
amplifier by ear when it drove a Celestion speaker fullrange,
something admitted by Bob Carver.

Both the 1985 and 1987 tests were fully described in Stereophile.
Using a differential method between the two amplifiers, I could
not achieve a null greater than 36dB, and then only in the midrange.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile