Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Turneroid Menace Strikes back

"patrick-turner"

Phil mentioned, as I expected, about yet another piece of old junk made in
Autrsalia when far better stuff could have been made........

** Wot a pig ignorant, bull****ting old ****.

Although capable of battery operation, a mains PSU came installed in the
battery compartment. The vast majority of units made had this option fitted.

The custom made, wire wound, reverse log, 15kohm dual potentiometer was the
best thing about it and normally outlasts everything else. I still have two
perfect examples, one in daily use.

**You are lucky.

** Bull****.

The pot on the one I have IS ****,

** Very, very unusual.

Because of using such a beautiful pot, BWD 141s have exceptional frequency
stability.

**I have found all pot operated wien bridge oscilators are far less stable
than somethig operated by a radio tuning gang and fixed resistances.

** NOT true when the pot is a precision WW type as is the case here - plus
the electronics are all SS so there is no temp rise.

The typical THD is 0.05% between 100 Hz and 100kHz.

**Yes, not bad, but excessively good for just response testing ...

** Wot a ****ing stupid thing to say.

Wot a ****ing stupid **** just said it.

Replacing the original BWD discreet electronics with a pair of NE5532
op-amps and a "phase shifting oscillator" topology reduced the THD to
vanishing levels (circa 0.002% ) at all audio frequencies.

**No doubt you could use opamps but They don't go very well at 1MHz.

** Never said they did - you bul****ting old ****.

Shame then Turneroid had to butcher his one so badly.

** Shame Phil likes to stand up for such terrible old junk.

The original BWD141 performs way better than ****ing the POS the Turneroid
made out of his.

http://goughlui.com/?p=1343

The Turneroid abortion has horrible, discontinuous frequency adjustment,
massive transients in the output and very high THD. So it is utter garbage
for audio testing.

As I expected, when you throw a Pearl in front of a swine.

.... Phil