Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Speakers That Sound Like Music

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message

IME, Orions are one design that moved the bar on dynamics and power
from a modestly sized speaker for the home listening room but the room
interaction itself remains a limiting factor. Loud dynamic instruments
like a trumpet or a snare drum generally aren't pleasing in small
confined spaces.

I haven't heard them but Don Keele's constant beamwidth transducer
technology

http://www.audioartistry.com/products_CBT.htm

seems to advance the bar of dealing with room interactions with
controlled and non-frequency dependent radiation patterns.

One of the three most popular ways to control directivity, the others
being
waveguides and a multiway systems with drivers with graded diameters.

My sincere apologies to Scott and everyone - I tried to correct this error
but didn't catch it in time. That above was from Scott, not me. I was
responding to it, but my quoting software failed me and I didn't notice.
Below was my contribution.

The CBT is one of the strangest designs yet. He never does explain why he
wants such a radiation pattern - what model of the reproduction problem
does
this satisfy?

A column of speakers like this primarily controls vertical directivity.
The
two possible targets would be the floor bounce and the ceiling bounce.

I think it must be just the simpleminded idea that we all want
to eliminate the room reflections.

Since the drivers are small and the speakers are in a column, the only
control is in the vertical direction.

His diagrams make it look like they have a cardioid pattern rather than
hemispherical.

Then he displays it on a reflective floor. Who in blazes designs a
listening room with a reflective floor?

Lots of people. Furthermore, the carpets that most people put on their
floors are far from being broadband absorbers.

Well, it is the higher frequencies that I would want to absorb with thick
carpeting. I just can't think of any acoustical justification for floor
bounce being desirable. I advocate (as do many others) encouraging the side
reflections to fill out the all important lateral reflections contained in
the recording. You can use side speakers on delay, but what the hell -
reflections are free and always delayed, no?

Gary Eickmeier