Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
Mxsmanic Mxsmanic is offline

Default Has your memory card ever worn out?

Floyd L. Davidson writes:

Turning off the swap file should not increase speed.

It depends. Some operating systems perform mandatory swaps even when they are
not required, and since every swap requires physical disk I/O, this can slow
down an operating system a great deal in some conditions. I once speeded up a
system considerably by making a one-instruction change that eliminated a
routine swap on every keyboard I/O.

I don't recall off-hand if Windows does this type of swapping or not. When it
happens it's often a legacy of the old days.

First, if you are actually swapping out running programs, turning
off swap is not going help anything but will probably cause either
a system crash or some programs to be killed.

Windows will run without a swap file. If there's not enough RAM, it will slow
to a crawl. If there are vast amounts of RAM available, it will run just fine.

But second, and I have no idea if Windows does this or not but any
decent OS should swap out inactive data segments to provide more
RAM for use as disk cache.

No, this is usually a design mistake as I've described above. Routine swapping
in a modern OS just "on principle" is almost universally a bad idea.