Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
nospam[_3_] nospam[_3_] is offline

Default Has your memory card ever worn out?

In article , William Sommerwerck
wrote:

Current data suggest easily twice as reliable.

Under what conditions?

all conditions, and likely much more than twice.

I'm about to buy a new computer, and will almost certainly use flash memory
for the boot drive. But I guarantee there will be nothing on that drive that
has to be continually re- or over-written.

All the user-created files will be on a conventional hard drive -- unless I
can be convinced that flash drive is sufficiently reliable.

it looks like your mind is made up and aren't interested in facts,
however, flash is definitely more reliable and *substantially* faster.

Of course, I create a bootable copy of my current computer's drive every one
to three weeks, and keep intermediate copies of important files on a Zip
drive. I also periodically back up all user data to an external hard drive.

you should be doing backups a *lot* more frequently and better yet,
have it automated so you don't need to do anything for it to happen.

also, zip drives are about the worst possible backup media and too
small to be of much use even if they were reliable.

By the way, my Seagate hard drives are warranteed for five years and have
given me no trouble.

actually, they may only be warranted for 1 year, which is the shortest
in the industry (western digital is 2 year):

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/16/seagate_cutting_warranties/

Seagate is cutting most Barracuda and Momentus warranty periods down
to one year with others moving from five-year warranties to three.

Name a consumer flash drive that has that long a
warranty.

10 year warranty:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Pat...nty-Torqx,8222.
html
The company is also backing the new drives with a huge 10-year
warranty, apparently the first of its kind in the industry.

5 year warranty:
http://newsroom.intel.com/community/...11/05/19/chip-
shot-new-5-year-limited-warranty-on-intel-ssd-320

Confident in the enhanced reliability features of its recently
introduced third-generation solid-state drive (SSD), Intel announced
it has extended its limited warranty for the Intel® SSD 320 Series
from three years to five years.