Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default full-circle back to Bose 901's?

BEAR wrote:
Doug McCall wrote:
I owned a pair of Series IV 901's for about five minutes back in the late
seventies and have since gone through pairs of ESS amt-1b's, Klipsch
Cornwalls, Amrita Reference Standards, Klipschorns, B&W 703's and now, a
5-channel set-up of a/d/s/ HT400's / HT300's and a pair of Dayton Titanic
III 10" subs. So...why am I scouring ebay for a clean pair of Bose 901
Series VI speakers? I know they are not p.c. in audiophile circles, but my
gaaawsh, I just feel like the prodigal son of good sound, thinking if I
could just go back to that chest-pounding, almost scary bass, that life-like
spaciousness, and even the sparkling detail I heard from a pair of Series
VI's a few years ago at the Bose outlet store in Osage Beach, MO (yes,
DETAIL!). So, have I come full circle? Is the 901 truly the holy grail of
speakers even though only Amar Bose and his merry marketers dare say so
publicly? Or am I in need of a 12-step program?

What you /need/ with a pair of Bose 901s is a flat real plaster and
lathe wall, free of all obstructions, dead floor (wood with carpet/rug
is best), and some degree of absorption and diffusion on the remaining
surfaces. Soft plush chair.

That and a Phase Linear 700.

THEN what is needed is a good TT and cartridge combo (not a Shure,
Stanton or similar).

FINALLY, you need pristine copies of early LED ZEP albums!!

Nothing sounds better!

It would also help to be transported back in time to 1975.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason