Posted to rec.audio.high-end
record hunter record hunter is offline

Default full-circle back to Bose 901's?

Steven Sullivan wrote:
Doug McCall wrote:
I owned a pair of Series IV 901's for about five minutes back in the late
seventies and have since gone through pairs of ESS amt-1b's, Klipsch
Cornwalls, Amrita Reference Standards, Klipschorns, B&W 703's and now, a
5-channel set-up of a/d/s/ HT400's / HT300's and a pair of Dayton Titanic
III 10" subs. So...why am I scouring ebay for a clean pair of Bose 901
Series VI speakers? I know they are not p.c. in audiophile circles, but my
gaaawsh, I just feel like the prodigal son of good sound, thinking if I
could just go back to that chest-pounding, almost scary bass, that life-like
spaciousness, and even the sparkling detail I heard from a pair of Series
VI's a few years ago at the Bose outlet store in Osage Beach, MO (yes,
DETAIL!). So, have I come full circle? Is the 901 truly the holy grail of
speakers even though only Amar Bose and his merry marketers dare say so
publicly? Or am I in need of a 12-step program?

No one says you HAVE to like speakers that measure well -- or hate
ones that don't get reviewed or bench-tesed for fear of *lawsuits*. ;

I'm just not sure what advantage 901's will give in this day and age of
*real* surround. I suspect you've just got a bad case of 'upgradeitis'
and are desperate for something different. You may end up being disappointed
when your new 901s don't sound like they did in that showroom. (Room acoustics
and all that -- and heaven knows what EQ settings)

(Also I don't remember *detail* being the strong point of 901's, when I owned
a pair.)

The 901s are most useful if your decorating style includes the Saarinen
tulip table.

http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=10517