Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] mpresley@earthlink.net is offline

Default full-circle back to Bose 901's?

Doug McCall wrote:

So, have I come full circle? Is the 901 truly the holy
grail of speakers even though only Amar Bose and his merry marketers dare
say so publicly? Or am I in need of a 12-step program?

When I started to get in to hi-fi there were 3 mainstream "top of the line"
speakers most people considered: the AR3, the JBL 100, and the Bose. Each
had a distinctive sound. Then, for a few there was the Quad. Given the
limitations of 1975 sound technology, I would be inclined to go for a set
of Quads; IF I had to buy an old speaker. Things have changed so much it
is difficult for me to believe that the current 901 is competitive with a
more modern speaker design. At the same time, I wouldn't even know where
to go to audition a 901, today. Maybe Bose has a deal like the WaveRadio
where they will send you a set so you can try them out in your home for a
week or two before you buy?

mp