Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Dorman Paul Dorman is offline

Default Dachman Audio U87 Clone Kit

On 12/14/2020 11:18 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/14/2020 3:13 AM, Paul Dorman wrote:

Â*Â*Â* \I'd like to see some blind tests with
a real U87, and see if people can tell the difference!

That's what they all ask - does it sound like the real thing? Does your
U87 sound like my U87? Probably not exactly.

The important thing is whether it sounds good to you on your projects.
There was a time when there were a few standard studio mics that clients
expected you to have. I bought two, and still have them and use them.
But I have a couple of other mics that "sound like" U87s that don't
sound like either of my U87s, but they're useful in most places where
I'd use a U87 and they're nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm not familiar with this maker and I have no idea where his parts come
from. I know a little more about Mic PartsÂ* they're very open about
their designs and sources. If you're looking to save some money buy
building a mic from a kit, check them out

https://microphone-parts.com/

I'd like to see two blind tests:

1) 5 mics. 4 real U87s, and 1 U87 Clone.
2) 5 mics. 4 Clones, and 1 Real U87.

I'm willing to bet very, very few people could correctly pick
out the 1 Clone, and the 1 Real, in two blind audio tests. Especially
since there are variations even between the real U87s!