Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default I Built and Used My First Incandescent Bulb Current-Limiter

wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

===================

But I would assume the bulb lighting up initially, is due
to the initial in-rush current, that charges up the electrolytic
filtering caps, on the outputs of the rectifiers?

No. This is a "power-on thump" which is caused by the coupling capacitors
charging up, not the power supply.

** The OP never mentioned any " thump" and is not talking about one.

Yes, you are correct. From the original post, it seemed like he was using
a protection lamp on the speaker output (which is a common thing to do),
not on the AC line (which is also a fairly common thing for people to do
when they don't have a variac).