Posted to rec.audio.pro
knadles knadles is offline

Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

On Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 4:56:06 PM UTC-6, wrote:

How much of the shift in demand would you attribute to the popularity of
home recording?

In my opinion, 90 percent. It's more the tech than "home recording" per se. I know a few commercial places that set up small studios with some microphones and a DAW and some foam on the walls for VO work. They would have sent that stuff out of house back in the day, but there's little point in doing so now. One session would have cost what it took to set up the room. Another place I used to work with fired the staff, sold all the gear and the building with the good studio, and moved production to a small town in Michigan, where it's overseen by a nice enough guy who has about 60 other things on his plate that have little to do with recording.

10 percent is due to the replacement of loudspeakers with earbuds. Lower standards on the listening side puts less pressure on maintaining a high standard on the recording side. That's just my take.

I'll go back to lurking now.

Pete