Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_6_] James Price[_6_] is offline

Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 1:32:37 PM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article ,
James Price wrote:
On Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 8:18:36 PM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
James Price wrote:
Do you think the rise of home studios will eventually offset
demand for professional recording services to the point that
running a commercial studio won't be a viable career path?

That happened some time in the mid-nineties. Did you miss it?

If it were no longer a viable career path, recording studios would
occupy a niche market on par with typewriter repair.

No, I can actually find a typewriter repair shop.

And I can find a recording studio. However, the percentage of people that
still use a typewriter is trifling compared to audio equipment.

All the full-service studios in the country are gone. The big Hit Factory
auction was basically the sign that everything changed. All the big label
studios are gone... Columbia's 30th st. studio... all the RCA studios gone.

The only studio left in the country large enough for an orchestra or a big
band is Skywalker Sound, and that's an audio-for-film shop.

Okay, but there are plenty of recording studios in North America.