Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ed Presson[_2_] Ed Presson[_2_] is offline

Default OK - A Small Survey

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message ...

a) How many here actually have used a soldering iron on their own
electronics in cold blood?

b) How many here can read and understand a schematic well enough to make
parts and quality decisions?

c) How many here believe that there is a direct (if not necessarily linear)
correlation between sound and cost?

d) How many here have dedicated (single-purpose) listening rooms?

a) I built Heathkits, Eico kits, and Dynakits in the early sixties. I
remember using the soldering iron for some repair
since then, but I cannot remember the details.

b) Nope, not anymore.

c) I'm sorry to say (for my wallet's sake) that I believe there is, at
least sometimes, a correlation. Not linear, not
predictable, and probably subject to irrational biases.

d) We had a separate garage behind the house that was converted for use as
an artist's studio and listening room. Since it
serves no other purpose and I am the only user, I can optimize the space
pretty much to my listening and painting pleasure.

Ed Presson