Posted to rec.audio.pro
MD

Default Digital Room "Correction"

Scott Fraser wrote:

I agree with this data - however - one has to add some real world
realities.

I believe the real world reality you need to state in this case is that
you have already invested in purchasing a Behringer EQ.

Passive room treatment - for this freq range - is expensive
and the room decor will be drastically altered. If one is adjusting
for
multiple listening positions and has the money and desire to put these
devices in the room - great. if you don't have a lot of money and you
sit in one spot the Behringer (for example) works very well

To be logically consistent as well as intellectually honest, given the
inherent conflicts in your stated defense, I believe you need to state
that the Behringer works very well only if one construes the resulting
masking of the acoustic room problems as less important than an actual
improvement in the acoustic properties of the room. In other words, the
EQ becomes a feelgood emotional solution, while remaining an aural
non-solution. That's OK, as long as you're not kidding yourself about
what's really going on acoustically.

Scott Fraser

I have plots that show the difference with a DSP. It's not simply feel
good. It may be a secondary and therefore not technically preferred but
it works well and is affordable. Again - for a single listening position.