Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

Default Digital Room "Correction"

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
message

OK, thanks everyone. You've talked me out of it.

You shouldn't be too quick to dismiss room EQ.

It works.

I did a number of room EQs in my day, and -- if the
system was properly set up, and the room had decent
acoustics to begin with (ie, little or no slap echo,
minimal wall reflections, etc), a careful EQ would
_drastically_ improve the sound.

You're looking at this from an overly narrow theoretical
point of view.

Agreed that the theoretical take on room equalization is pretty dreary
compared to more generally-accepted practices such as equalizing mics and
speakers.

Equalizing rooms is a band aid and mission impossible particularly when
there are differing needs in different parts of the room.

However, a bad room can have a generalized problem, such as sounding cold
due to lots of reflections from hard floors and walls. Obviously the
equalizer can't make all of the bad effects of the reflections go away, but
it can help with the general coldness.

Room equalization can be better than a kick in the head if done
appropriately and with care and taste.