Peter Larsen

Ty Ford wrote:

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:26:49 -0400, Les Cargill wrote
(in article ) :

wrote:

hello everyone,

some small-d condensers like Earthworks have *really* small diaphragms.
and other "measurement" mics are also often very small in this way.

i would think those small mics would lose bass response. because in a
loudspeaker, you need a big woofer to produce the low end.

so how does a tiny little mic like that capture low end? the spec
sheets show that those things measure flat way down into the 30hz range
or even down to 10hz. i just don't understand the physics of it.

It's not an antenna - it just detects one tiny slice of
the wavefronts. The smaller moving mass makes 'em
more likely to be accurate.

--
Les Cargill

A lot has to do with the tensioning of the diaphragm. Looser, more lows.

I like bigger diaphragms for lower selfnoise especially for quiet sources.
Louder sources and you don't hear the selfnoise.

I can not make sense of this, a nearby manufacturer prides themselves of
having the tensest membranes around, ie. they put the membrane main
resonance above the audible range, and they also seem to have exquisite
bass response. The membrane area vs. self noise issue is however obvious
from their data as I recall them without checking. Could it be that you
have omitted something from your explanation, such as perhaps
directional characteristic?

Ty Ford

Kind regards

Peter Larsen