Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Press Releases Withdrawal from the Recording Media Business

On 24/06/2015 12:35 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 6/23/2015 6:44 AM, Trevor wrote:
vinyl records will have long turned into sludge before 5,000 years,
you'd be better off keeping the metal masters.

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. People who complain about landfills
say that they have things in them that won't deteriorate for centuries,
so who knows whether they'll deteriorate in 5,000 years.

Almost anyone with real chemistry knowledge I imagine. Characteristics
of various plastics are fairly well known. Do NOT think that just
because some plastics last a long time, all of them might. Even non
chemists know that!

But then, 5,000
is years is really an exaggeration in any sense. I expect that whatever
populates the earth then will have no concept of music as it is today.

Assuming humans are still around, (not something I'd bet on but
*assuming*) then they may at least be interested just as we are about
the ancient Egyptians.

Metal masters are nice to keep, but there are so few of them compared to
the number of pressings. Metal masters aren't all that common (most are
cut on lacquer),

Which are then plated.

and metal stamping parts tend to get discarded when
they start making funky pressings (some funkier than others).

You don't want the inverse stampers, you want the mothers the stampers
are made from.

Trevor.