Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Tweeter replacement for Kef 107

"bassett" wrote in message

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 10:35:14 -0800, "ScottW"
wrote:

Actually....the term impedance implies a complex
model that will vary response with frequency.

I think you're confusing nominal impedance.

Not confusing the terms but, unfortunately, I didn't use
the correct ones explicitely. As you state, the nominal
impedance is almost always offered but the complex
impedance graph less commonly. I am in agreement with you that swapping
drivers is a
crap-shoot unless one is willing and able to undertake a
potential redesign. Kal

It comes down to how much work your prepaired for, if you just want
the same result, by all means go for
the KEF replacements, They should be the same values as the one's
there replacing, and should not require any work on the crossovers.
Plus, they will fit.
If you deside on the Vifa's Scan Speak, or whatever, for best results
you will need to play with the "cap' values in the crossover, to obtain
a balanced result,
As our friend states above, it's a "crap-shoot" you
can buy the worlds best, but get the crossover values
wrong, and they will sound like crap, and the cheapest
tweeters around with good matching crossover
componants will sound like the "ducks nuts" It's
all about trial and error

It's really a crap shoot, because it is impossible to merely diddle the
crossover and get a good balance with a tweeter that is not efficient enough
for the rest of the system.