Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Default Such a pleasure

Hi folks:

I've been working on digitizing and cleaning up an album from 1981 that I'd say was done right; the engineers held back on the compression and limiting, and the album has decent dynamic range. As in a crest factor of 14dB, ehich is more that 99% of my LPs have, snd more than 99% of my CDs. And it sounds clear and natural as anything I've heard. The album is "Fennigmania" by Fennig's All-Star String Band, and I'm busy digiizing because the co-founder of the band, hammered dulcimerf player Bill Spence, just passed on, and I want to play the album on the radio. (Which will vitiate the great engineering, but that's built into the format. Ya do what you can.)

No, I didn't decide to do this album for the engineering; I chose it because the music is great. But, after listening to dozens of albums (LP and CD) that have had the life squeezed out of them, it's nice to hear one where they got it right. It's like taking off tight shoes.

The LP was on Front Hall Records, if you want to search it out. It's a breath of fresh air, sonically *and* musically.

Peace,
Paul