Posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz nickbatz is offline

Default Oversampling converters vs. high SRs

Don, that's what I was going to say - that IM (not even distortion, just natural eigentones - like the ones Mike R is talking about) have to be in the audible spectrum to be of any consequence.

Mike, was it Notre Dame de Budapest? That's an amazing sampled pipe organ from the old GigaSampler days. But what they call sampling every pipe individually is what you or I would call sampling every note individually - which is how all sample libraries are recorded, unless they're pitch-shifted, and that's before you get to all the different dynamic levels and articulations.

Anyway... my original question is less about the value of high sample rates (that's an old debate) than about the difference between oversampling converters and high SRs.

But then Scott says they're all sigma-delta converters nowadays - which I guess are 1-bit? - leaving me even more confused than I thought I was.

So let me try again: since the 1-bit signal isn't what's recorded, but instead it's what my brain tells me is super-oversampling, how is that different from converting high sample rates?

I guess the latency goes down at HSRs...