Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Oversampling converters vs. high SRs

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 14:00:50 -0800 (PST), nickbatz
wrote:

Don, if you read my last post in response to Scott, you'll probably understand my lack of understanding.

I don't really know how else to phrase the question: what is the argument for storing audio files post-converter at anything over 44.1/48 if the filtering is being done way above the audible spectrum anyway?

OK, now I get you. Very little point at all, unless you are doing
something other than reproduce sound. The response of even the best
microphones will go horribly peaky above 20kHz, and it is as well to
get rid of it. All that extra spectrum can possibly do is waste power,
and possibly cause intermodulation distortion down into the actual
audible range.

But - although an A/D that works at 192kS/sec may be wasted digits,
the fact that it has been designed that way is usually a good
indication that its performance at 44.1 will be exemplary. Not always,
but usually.