Jim G

Default Stereo Mini Plugs to RCA Plugs to Receiver Aux In-- Signal Degradation?

Hello. I'm in the process of putting together a PC-Stereo System setup
for my daughter. Budget limitations confine me to using a mini stereo
system (Panasonic SCM PM39D,
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3985852), which rules
out using a digital link from her PC soundcard to the receiver (as no
mini systems, to my knowledge, offer digital input).

Ideally I would like to use a stereo mini plug adapter at the soundcard
which includes an input for computer speakers as well as branching off
into left and right RCA plugs for the stereo (see picture here, listed
as "Option 2": http://www.pcstereolink.com/stereocomputer.html).

Can any of you tell me whether this sort of adapter involves any signal
degradation compared to a normal Y-adapter? Also, I'm thinking it might
be more flexible to use an adapter that terminates in female RCAs and
then use an extended Male-to-Male RCA cable to go the rest of the way.
Since this uses an additional coupling, does it entail signal loss or
weakening?

Thx,
JG