Posted to rec.audio.high-end
news news is offline

Default Amplitude, Power, Gain, Loudness, Volume

Kele wrote:
My speakers don't start to "party" until about 10 watts. Below that
and the sound is lacking presence. Another pair of speakers I've had
in the same room are much more refined and delicate and could be more
believable at lower volumes.

I'm beginning to wonder how radiation pattern changes with volume. Maybe
that "just right" volume has less to do with loudness than how the
frequencies fill the room. The test would be doing the above live vs volume
adjusting exercise with speakers with various radiation schemes. I have
heard one engineer friend say that you can turn the Maggies up a lot more
without that annoying harshness that most speakers have.

Gary Eickmeier