Barry Mann

In , on 03/05/05
at 09:33 PM, Steven Sullivan said:

lordy, it never ends..

http://www.soundstage.com/weaver04.htm

(I've read tthat the green pen tweaks started as an online hoax....
taken as truth by some gullible audiophile...and the rest is history.
I haven't been able to trace the story back
far enough to verify that)

Yes, I was there (on Compuserve). I wouldn't call it a hoax, just a
joke. We were having some fun. I keep thinking that I can locate the
thread on some old 8" floppies, but I never seem to find the time to go
through them. As I recall, we cooked up the claims one December and
products started arriving on the market in January.

What a classic! It had a simple story that was just complex enough that
it seemed plausable. When green magic marker types came around, they
didn't want to listen to any explainations of why the concept was
silly. If you couldn't hear the improvement .. er... well you were deaf
and stupid. I even pointed out that, in order to interact with that
green coating, the light must first leave the disk ... do you think the
light is ever comming back? At that point they usually left because
they couldn't stand my stupidity any longer.

----

Another of my favorites was a cryogenic process that claims to improve
the sound of CD's. You were supposed to send your CD's, they'd be
frozen in liquid nitrogen for a while, and you'd notice an improvement
in the sound. I asked them if they could show me some error flag data,
but of course they could not.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)