Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default High-end audio

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

The issue is whether the noise already in a signal -- regardless
of level -- automatically dithers it. I don't believe it does. I would
like to see an explanation that goes beyond hand-waving.

Dither is simply noise that is added to the signal, so it is there
ready when the quantization occurs. It matters not a jot how
long before quantization the noise got there. If it is added at the
microphone, it is exactly the same as if it was added a nanosecond
before quantization. All that matters is that it is a signal free from
correlation. Noise, in other words.

Forgive me, Mr Pearce, but that has nothing to do with what I said.
Please read what I wrote.

William, this is one of the most irrational things I've read lately.
Mr. Pierces comment exactly addresses your question.

IT DOES NOT. It ignores my question, COMPLETELY.

You're just too mentally knackered to perceive it!

No, Arny, you are NOT reading what I wrote! READ IT!

The issue is whether the noise already in a signal -- regardless
of level -- automatically dithers it. I don't believe it does. I would
like to see an explanation that goes beyond hand-waving.

What part of "regardless of level" don't you understand?

Asked and answered, and example of defining the desired hole given.