Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default High-end audio

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
The issue is whether the noise already in a signal -- regardless
of level -- automatically dithers it. I don't believe it does. I would
like to see an explanation that goes beyond hand-waving.

Dither is simply noise that is added to the signal, so it is there
ready when the quantization occurs. It matters not a jot how
long before quantization the noise got there. If it is added at the
microphone, it is exactly the same as if it was added a nanosecond
before quantization. All that matters is that it is a signal free from
correlation. Noise, in other words.

Forgive me, Mr Pearce, but that has nothing to do with what I said. Please
read what I wrote.

William, this is one of the most irrational things I've read lately.

Mr. Pierces comment exactly addresses your question. You're just too
mentally knackered to perceive it!